jbarr5

jbarrett5 book reviews, etc

I read a lot and post my reviews
Cookbook Boxed Set: THREE GREAT COOKBOOKS! - Dan Alatorre

Cookbook Boxed Set: THREE GREAT COOKBOOKS!  by Dan Alatorre
Had read one of the authors other works and he liked my review and redid the books to add in the suggestions I posted about.
Other works by the author are featured at the beginning of the book.

First book: 35 great recipes you wish your mother made. Lots of categories to choose from.
Each recipe starts out with a title, beautiful color photo, some include servings, and a summary and then the ingredient list. Instructions on how to make and a tip on how to serve is also included.
There's just a handful that do not have a photo. Like tips along the way that make some recipes just special.
Cole Slaw will be one we will make during summer months from fresh garden ingredients, looks similar to our recipe but this one has a bit more zing.
Love all seafood recipes as we live on the coast in the Northeast and can easily obtain them. No nutritional information but you should be able to substitute for your dietary needs.
Pizza dough sounds like a winner also as it's all within our meal plan. Chocolate cake recipe is a winner also but I'd use liquid eggs without frosting and pour into muffin pans as that is the size of a piece we'd be able to eat.
35 more amazing recipes your mother would be proud of!
Bonus recipes included with the different categories.
Each recipe comes with a title, summary, beautiful color photo and list of ingredients. Some also have servings.
There is NO nutritional information but you might be able to substitute for a healthier option.
Love the Ohio connection as I put together a recipe book for my husband's family who lived there.
Love the variations with the shrimp scampi, similar to one I used to make-it's so easy to put together.
Love tips about different kinds of cookies: crispy, chevy, puffy.
All American Favorites
Love stories of holidays and what food was available. Similar to how we grew up with relatives as neighbors.
Beautiful color photos, bonus recipes along the way. Even though it might be a basic recipe the author adds his creativity to make it for a special treat at a holiday gathering.
All little notes and tips and how to make it different. No servings or nutritional information but you should be able to substitute for your dietary needs.
Think I'd rather see 'about the author' at the very beginning because then I know who Michelle is, wondering if it's a sister or mother or wife.
Other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
What I like about the recipes are the stories that go along with them about how they came about or why they love to experiment with new ingredients to make it better.
For the most part there are beautiful color photos only a small amount do not have one. My reviewers like to see a picture of the dish they are going to try to make. There is no nutritional information nor servings size so you will have to experiment but should know how much one pound of lean meat will provide a meal for. Very few repeat recipes.
Some of the ingredients you might be able to substitute for a healthier option  (low fat, low sodium) but it is not going to taste the same as what the recipe calls for.  Grew up making a lot of these recipes and don't have my mothers recipes any longer so these are a godsend although I probably won't make them much as they contain too much sugar or other foods we are not allowed to have any longer.
Great comfort foods for the day once a month you can cheat from your diet. . Like tips along the way that make some recipes just special.   Love the variety of categories-makes it so anybody can find a recipe to try no matter what lifestyle/diet they follow.
A KEEPER!
Received this review copy from the author and this is my honest review.