jbarr5

jbarrett5 book reviews, etc

I read a lot and post my reviews
Pursuing Gold: A Novel of the Civil War - Cynthia L. Simmons, Rene Holt, Deb Haggerty, Jeff Gifford, Melinda Martin

Pursuing Gold: A Novel of the Civil War by Cynthia Simmons
Love the time frame of this book and the story line.
Starts out with Peter Chandler and with the death of his father he's inherited the problems at the bank.
His business partners daughter Mary Beth is also trying to help. Like how each get an alternating chapter so we hear what's going on from their perspective.
Her ailing father is about to die and he makes Peter promise to take care of Mary Beth, even marry her. They grew up together through the years. Her house will now board Confederate troops as the war gets closer to them, as does the spies from the North.
Loved hearing of all the plants, herbs she used to make cures for her ailing father. People in those time were very resourceful with what they had on hand.
Mary and Peter both fear for the bank and they also agree to go along with wedding plans-for her father's sake.
Peter and his mother and twelve year old sister will travel to safer location but Ruth doe snot want to go...
She doubts God is there for them due to the war and her father very ill....Her and Peter are able to discuss it to ease each other minds.
Love mystery of counterfeit money, love the clues they find...
Love the link between gold and God, interesting. Discussion questions at the end of the book and appendix of words/phrases used and author's notes. Would like to read more from this author.
I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review.