jbarr5

jbarrett5 book reviews, etc

I read a lot and post my reviews
Novels By John Steinbeck, including: The Grapes Of Wrath, Of Mice And Men, East Of Eden (novel), The Pearl (novel), To A God Unknown, In Dubious Battle, The Moon Is Down, The Winter Of Our Discontent, Tortilla Flat, Cup Of Gold (novel), Sweet Thursday - Hephaestus Books

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Have read this book many times and always enjoy the read. I seem to get something different out of it each time I read it.
It's about a few families that have migrated to the Salinas valley in CA. Love the detailed descriptions of the flowers in the valley.
The Hamilton family are basically farmers-he had left Ireland and came to CA to farm although his land is rock ridden he knows many things that others profit on.
Also follows a family from the Northeast and he's been in the army, got wounded and came home to his family. He brought back diseases that caused his wife to die. He quickly marries. One female marries Adam Trask and they move out to CA.
Quite the adventure and travel and how the two families become connected. So many lies and deceptions. Glimpses of the war also.