jbarr5

jbarrett5 book reviews, etc

I read a lot and post my reviews
Far From the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
1874 Wessex
I had seen this movie in the late 60's with my grandparents. Had no idea what it was about but it's a classic. I also ordered the paperback a few months ago and haven't gtten to it. But now I have it on audio so I hope I enjoy it.
Quite a different type of book subject from what I'm used to reading. Love all the descriptive details, makes me feel as if I am there.
Sexual scenes.  Basheba Everdeen  entices 3 men in her village.
A farmer Gabriel Oak falls in love with her but she is not in love with him.  Liked hearing of the sheep and their routines and when Gabriel realizes something is amiss.
Love hearing of the bartering to get a shepherd's hook. He finds her in a nearby town where she's become a farm owner via her uncle. She's so head strong.
Soldier Frank Troy needs to have the marriage bands announced....
Landowner William Baldwill-it's rumored he was jilted at the alter and that's effected him in later years...
Baldwill wants to marry her but again she's not in love with him. Love the chat about molting and shearing of the wool from the sheep.
Like legacy of pocket watch!